2CV gearbox corrosion repair

pottsy

Citroen Loony & BMC Nutter.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Greetings Brains Trust.

I have in my possession a spare 2CV gearbox which I had stashed away (in a dismantled state) in what I thought was a well protected spot.
When I recently delved deeply into the storage area I discovered to my horror that water had weaseled its evil way into the empty casing and eaten away at the insides somewhat.

I have a friend in the Mini community who is a gun with his hydroblast machine so, since I was getting a Mini gearbox casing treated by him, I also got him to have a crack at the 2CV casing and see how it came up. The outside is lovely and shiny, but, where the water was sitting inside, there is a lot of pitting. None of the pits are deep enough to go through and allow egress of the oily substances, but they are of some concern.

In discussion with him, we wondered if there may be a product of some kind that I could use to treat the surface, possibly filling the pitting. If there is, and it's successful,. he would like to try it on a couple of vintage gearbox casings that have somewhat suffered over the years.

My thought is that some kind of self leveling epoxy would maybe do the trick, but obviously whatever gets used must also be impervious to oil.
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences in this area? I believe there are treatments for fuel tanks which may even do the job?

I don't really want to re-use this casing in it's pocked form, but since such things are hens teeth in Oz I may have no choice down the track.

Piccies will follow when I take them, but the priority at present is building a new gearbox for the Mini. (The one in it currently is behaving like a teenager, whiny and grumbly! :) )

So, over to you. The conundrum of the week!

Cheers, Pottsy. (Oh, and happy Star Wars Day for tomorrow!)

Good morning Pottsy. I have used J B Weld two pack epoxy in various metal repair settings with great success. On a clean metal surface it bonds amazingly well, and can be filed/drilled/shaped to suit most applications. The manufacturers claim it to be oil resistant, and I have used it where chemicals and oils make contact, but not in a situation where it is immersed in oil continuously. Ian

Talk to PCCV member Colin Hague, Westgear Engineering, Airport West for how best to tackle the problem.

A suitable treatment must be possible. DS BorgWarner autos suffered from porous castings as did the super stylish alloy wheels fitted to FIAT 124s and the like.

Thanks blokes. JB weld was a product high on the list of possibles.
I know Col, we were in Scouts together many (MANY!) years ago. Will maybe have a chat as well.
Cheers, Pottsy

pottsy - not sure if suitable, but I used KBS coatings to seal the rusting interior of my motorcycle petrol tank. It took about 4 days. A few processes along the way that require the tank to be fully dry. KBS advise the process should not be rushed. Patience is important

I used the same process on a couple of GS tanks but there were issues. The KBS 100 litre tank kit was used for 2 x 45 litre tanks and it wasn't enough