French car owners in NZ

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

those interested in belonging to a car club focusing on restoring and modifying french cars (with an emphasis on Renaults? and in the north Island of New Zealand) are invited to attend a laid back weekend in Tokoroa. The meeting will take place over two days (December Sat 1st and Sun 2nd 2001) and on the second day is the chance to use a closed road for a hill climb!
Those interested contact Ben Anderson for further details; fruitcropsunit@massey.ac.nz or phone 06 356 8043 or 025 2462291. Look forward to seeing you there!!!

Bugger. Why do you guys all have to be in the North Island. I would be real keen otherwise, despite owning a Peugeot. Know of anything similar in the South Island? I've joined the Christchurch Peugeot club but they aint into motorsport in big way.
Have fun anyway

Hey Izza,

yeah sorry about that, just need someone to put a bridge between Nth and Sth Island and then we'd be sweet! Have you tried the Renault Club in the South Island? THey may be a little more 'motorsport oriented' than the pug people. I used to own a pug- 504 TI but belonged to the local reno club for the same reason. I'll let you know how we get on- I'll post something here, and all going well we may yet put a website together for nz enthusiasts.

Cheers Ben

I'm interested (especially in the hillclimb part), however like Izza, I drive a Peugeot. I'm in south Auckland which helps, I'll see how things pan out.

Eddie

hi eddie, did u finally get her fixed up or did u buy another 205. was it u who was looking for lowering springs awhile back?? cheers

JR: My original car got fixed (it took nearly 2 months though), I've had no problems since (knock wood). I was looking for lowering springs a little while back, I'm trying to amass funds to do the whole suspension at once though - I just spent $500NZD on a set of the factory 15" 1.9 alloys (money well spent), so plans have been knocked back a bit.

Cheers, Eddie
p.s. I'm still insanely jealous of your 16v :)

hi Ben
im Ross Webster's son. i have heard all about your plans but i thought i would post a reply to help drum up support. i'll have my 205gti 1.9 there, going hard. we are all out for a bit of fun, nothing to serious, just a good day out and some tyre smoke! so come on guys, support your chosen marque and lets do this. any frenchies can come along, im not letting these renault boys get big heads!!
cheers

Hey Geellystar,

it seems to run in families - this affliction with french cars- both me and my brother are struck with the 'disease' too!!

Yep come on all you kiwi 'enthusiasts' time to put your money where your mouth is and put your car through a bit of what it was intended for. As Geellystar said- anyone with a french car is welcome to come along- it's all gonna be low key and a bit of fun. Once again if onyone wants to know more feel free to contact me........see above for contact details.

Cheers Ben

ps geellystar- as the owner of one of the best performing front wheel drives of its time you should in theory wipe the floor of us mere mortals in renos wouldn't you......no pressure or anything!! :D

The meeting will take place over two days (December Sat 1st and Sun 2nd 2001

HEY! This post was the incentive I needed to sign up to Froggy Forums! Any more detail on this planned event? I may well head down for a look in my BX 16v, and may bring a mate in his BX 19 TRS. I'd love to put my Fiat racer (hence user name!) in the hillclimb, but that just wouldn't be fair ;-)

I'll probably give you a call about the event too.
Cheers
Phil (Hamilton)

Hey Chris,

glad this is getting some people interested in taking their frenchcars out for a thrash! You were after a bit more detail so here goes; (bearing in mind that this is a rough outline- we are open to suggestions.....)

Saturday 2.00pm Meet at Tokoroa Hotel
2.00 - 5.00 pm informal time talking, looking at each others cars etc
5.00 - 7.00 pm Dinner
7.30 Meeting at the hotel meeting room to discuss club

Sunday 9.00 am assemble at Tar Hill for hill climb (briefing etc)
9.30 - Noon hill climb
1.00 pm may be lunch somewhere
Depart for home

As I said we could do other things if anyone has some (realistic and cool/different) :cool: ideas.
Seeya Ben

ps give us a call if you need to know more Chris- it'd be great to see a couple of citroens there!

All sounds good. I need to speak to my mate with the BX19 (not back yet from crewing on Targa - head mechanic for the Sayer E Type !)
By the way - he is also a Citroen trained mechanic, and experienced in Pugs too.... maybe if we can make it to the "show and tell" he'd be happy to provide advice...

Has anyone done Tar Hill before? What's it like? tight, fast, slow...... ?

cheers
Phil

Hey Chris,

sounds like your mate could be really interesting/knowledgeable to talk to- hope he can make it along. I haven't driven Tar Hill before either- maybe someone else could elaborate on it?

Something I forgot to mention is that Tar Hill is being organised for us by the hotel owner- where we are having the meeting.

It'd be good if people could support this guy if possible, rather than just turn up for the Sunday hill climb- obviously if you are less than an hour away there's probably not much point staying te night in Tokoroa....

Any way, the more the merrier- if this one goes well we could begin to move it around the nth island a bit....

Seeya Ben

ps I am mulling over entering my 17 in the Targa next year- not the competitive bit- the one where you drie the closed roads before the race cars, a good time to take the car and give it a good caning, also to see if I have got the guts to do the 'real' thing. ;)

Will be talking to BX owning mate today, so will post back when I can. I think he's been to Tar Hill, so will see what he says about that too.

also, why is everyone calling me "Chris" ???

cheers
** Phil **

Hey **Phil**,

ahem, seems I need to post replies using a quote as the memory isn't as good as it used to be- actually I don't think it was ever that good- sorry about that!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, it'd be good if we know something about this hill climb, apparently its a private road of Carter Holt Harvey's that they are quite happy to close off for car clubs. I am pretty sure it's not gravel- the guy from the hotel will know for sure, I'll try and find out some more details.

On another note - did you see that the little 5 gordini cam about middle of the field in the Targa? I think the little 106 clubsports did a bit better than that again. I was suprised the gordini did that well as as far as I know it runs fairly std mechanicals (apparently its for sale....).

Cheers Ben-not chris either.......

Hey ho
Talked to someone about Tar Hill. apparently it's reasonably twisty, but as it's 4 lanes wiiiiide, you end up treating them as gentle bends. My mate (henceforth referred to as "Mark") suggested I should be able to hit 90mph on the way up (gulp).
Yep, checked out the 5 gordini.... sweet! Belongs to a good mate of my mate Mike (Fiat abarth Berlina corsa in Targa). Great little car, he wants around $5000 which sounds totally reasonable. Apparently he got a call from some guy in NZ who believes he (until now) has the only Gordini in NZ. The Targa one, if it doesn't sel, will stay here in storage until Targa 2002. The owner will go back to the UK and use his Dodge Viper (!!!).

cheers
PG

Could anyone tell me if we need crash helmet for the tar hillclimb on Sunday 2.

I noticed that Geellystar wants this to be an Intermarquee competition. If our Renault engines are 46% smaller than his Pug engine, with no overhead cam, with only 8 valves, we expect from him to do times almost twice as quick as ours.
Only joking, your dad has the right idea to modify the right car, Renault.

Hey Frans,

yeah compulsory helmet-wearing isbe a good idea, and a current WOF and Rego too.
I am thinking about putting harnesses in my car for the event - a reno 17, for that extra bit of safety. Besides helmets are only about $100. :)

Seeya Ben

Helmets sound like a good idea, especially for anyone silly enough to not take a Peugeot... :D

- Eddie (sorry, had to do it...)