C-matic solution

Alan S

1000+ Posts
On the recent SE-Qld run, I was forced to appear to be a bit anti-social due to being involved in a long and complicated conversation with Harold in the DS.
It seems that he had been told that the torque converter in his CX c-matic was disintigrating causing the car to stick in gear which was a bit disconcerting particularly when negotiating traffic lights in Brisbane. eek! eek!
Added to this, he had been told to use Dexron 3 ATF in the transmission (by a Citroen repairer who will remane nameless :rolleyes: :rolleyes: which I had been told by two oil companies was a definite no no in a C-matic box, & my suspicions were that the selector mechanism on the side of the transmission may have been locking up due to the friction enhancers in the ATF. I was apparently close but not quite right; it appears that the back plate on the electrovalve had worked loose and caused the plunger to go down too low, thereby locking itself against its own face plate at times. He removed the side plate, checked the plunger for free action and repaired the backplate as well as fitting the support bracket but firmer than before.
He has done 3 trips to Brisbane & one to Maryborough since & all is well.
Just thought I'd pass this on as a few are aware of the ongoing problems he's had with that car which culminated in him making enquiries about replacing the c-matic with a 4 or 5 speed manual box which would have been a very expensive exercise.

Alan S

Alan,

This one is worthy of a post in 'Common Faults' wink

Cheers
Chris