Dipstick shaft removal

C52011

Tadpole
Tadpole
Does anyone have a manual grab on how to remove a dipstick shaft on my C5 X7 2.0HD 2011
I lost the inevitable plastic end bit
It has been said there is a mesh avoiding it getting into the sump, but this is the second one breaking off!
I think it's time to remove them now and wonder if the removal is a simple effort - with a manual extract.

Personally I'd leave the tips there. The oil pick up is screened and they just lie on the bottom.

Some of the fixings are hard to get at. The fixings aren't hard to undo, but the thick sump sealant used by the factory is also a strong adhesive, and you'll end up using hammer and chisel to get the sump off. Don't gouge the metal. More work then to clean up the engine face with a scraper. Once off, straighten any sump surfaces bent by removal - it probably will occur.

You can buy sump sealants at the usual places.

Personally I'd leave the tips there. The oil pick up is screened and they just lie on the bottom.

Some of the fixings are hard to get at. The fixings aren't hard to undo, but the thick sump sealant used by the factory is also a strong adhesive, and you'll end up using hammer and chisel to get the sump off. More work then to clean up the engine face with a scraper. Once off, straighten any sump surfaces bent by removal - it probably will occur.

You can buy sump sealants at the usual places.
Thanks for your rapid feedback! I'll go by the computer telling 'oil levels correct' at start up and cut short the dipstick to just have a 'cap on shaft'!

i had a quick look at the RHH here ... and realised you would have to pull of most of the induction side to get the dipstick out. I figured I'd never put a plastic dipstick back in there though.

you can get metal dispsticks here

Not so inaccesible, unless we include the fixings near the torque converter.
sump.png
sump1.png

I'll go by the computer telling 'oil levels correct' at start up and cut short the dipstick to just have a 'cap on shaft'!
That's if you don't get the dreaded "oil level incorrect" which can also happen on the RHH with the level correct however!

I have suffered both faults ie broken dipstick and digital level, so decided the easier fix was to install a new dipstick (still plastic) for $30.

Oh, I meant the dipstick tube, not the sump! Mine was bit was still in the tube (at least I think it was).
Wouldn't the new dipstick push it out into the sump? Of course if the new one pushes down beside the broken off tip and jams, you are in worse trouble...

That's if you don't get the dreaded "oil level incorrect" which can also happen on the RHH with the level correct however!

I have suffered both faults ie broken dipstick and digital level, so decided the easier fix was to install a new dipstick (still plastic) for $30.
Yes, I’m not sure I’d rely on the digital readout!

I reckon a new plastic one should give a fair few years of life, but for similar money (GBP18) I ordered a metal one from eBay. As my plastic one hadn’t broken (yet!) I compared the two, and the metal one is spot-on with its markings.

I’ve just had this happen. Please could someone post the dimension from the shoulder at the top to the full mark and the distance between the marks for an RHH in a 2012 308. I’ve only just got this car and would like to keep an eye on the oil level with a work around on the dipstick. Thanks, Hugh

Thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble to provide this vital information. (it wasn’t broken yesterday……) The link to the eBay item above does give a length of 568 but wasn’t sure that much had broken off. From your photo it looks like there is about a 75 mm length missing. I wonder if it might end up at the drain plug on an oil change. Now for a solution….

Thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble to provide this vital information. (it wasn’t broken yesterday……) The link to the eBay item above does give a length of 568 but wasn’t sure that much had broken off. From your photo it looks like there is about a 75 mm length missing. I wonder if it might end up at the drain plug on an oil change.

Is the dipstick really a concern for the short time it takes to order in a new one? I've never seen any oil use in any of the Citroen diesels I've owned. I don't think the 407 or rcz ever move from where they were filled to last oil change. I'm pretty sure the XM diesel never used a drip of oil either :)

Is the dipstick really a concern for the short time it takes to order in a new one? I've never seen any oil use in any of the Citroen diesels I've owned. I don't think the 407 or rcz ever move from where they were filled to last oil change. I'm pretty sure the XM diesel never used a drip of oil either :)
I replaced ours as a preventative measure, but rarely use it if I’m honest. The oil level simply doesn’t move around much between servicings, and we have the oil measurement on start up which I assume should flag if it were to dump all its oil overnight. The only time the digital display showed anything other than normal was when a mechanic slightly overfilled the car.