Help with DS Fuel Lines

Here's another idea for you Don, while I avoid doing work... I just came across a manual snapshot I used for an order, ignore the red dots.
what I would try is:
take the cover off fuel tank,
disconnect the air feed pipe, (9 into 13)
Plug the air pipe at filler cap end (disconnected from the fuel filler pipe)
Blow some air back from the tank end of main air pipe which hopefully will clear out the little vent inlet, the one connecting above with capsule on it (12).
Maybe get some spray paint gun cleaning brushes (the little ones) or something to clean the hole in the vent.
STEVEN FUEL HOSE ORDER.png

Got it.
After quite a bit of swearing, I succeeded in disconnecting the rubber tube on the cap vent, so I could plug it, and blowing compressed air from the tank side tube, and I do get air coming out of the cap housing small vent (20).
Which was definitely blocked before anyway because I has to clean it with a small screwdriver (yesterday).
Great drawing, thanks.

Still... my fuel tank cap looks like this:

caphole_zpsx0qebtnw.jpg

and even without the hole, from the blowing I did before I got to disconnect the tube, air comes out all around it anyway - so maybe it goes in as well... but then, better with the air inlet working than without.
We'll see if things get better :)

hooray! the image is a snapshot downloadable manuals, thats the 648 1/2( see previous link) very handy. Also the 814 1 and 814 2 would be useful ( factory manuals). Andiamo!

Ok, so now I have redundancy on the air inlet, so I might just feel like testing the issue by dodging speed traps on the motorway tomorrow.

I still feel like putting something like this in the boot:

filtro10.jpg

with a little magnet on the bottom to keep the rust there.
It's also got the advantage that if I get any water in the fuel, I can see it and drain it easily.

Why in the boot? Well, my reasoning goes, even more easily inspectable than in the engine compartment, risk of fire even less than there, and if my paranoid idea about the rislan/nylon/whatever feed line turns out to be not so paranoid, the crud won't get there either.

I have the searchable 814s (thanks to you guys) and I did try to search for fuel lines and tank, but with no success...

I think implementing that idea could be a waste of time and effort Don! You'll only get water in the tank care of dodgy fuel stations surely? Don't answer that.

If I may answer,
first of all I'm worried about the rust, not really the water. This not being a diesel engine, water damage is limited.
That setup would take care of the rust in the fuel circuit.
I'm just mentioning the water as an added advantage.

But water is always there. It condenses in the tank from the air.
As air is sucked into the tank, say during the day, and then cools when the car is left at night, and because the pressure drop cools the tank slightly anyway, the water in the air condenses and drops to the bottom of the tank.
Not much, but over time...

This also accounts for some of the water you may get from fuel stations (the have big tanks).

Big boats with big diesels use all sort of stuff - up to centrifuges - to make sure the water stays away from the engines.

Until the petrol starts coming out of the holes the RUST has created in the tank : )

Oh, this tank.

Now I have air getting into the fuel line. Lots.
And I can't find where it comes from.
At first I thought it was the tube stuck in the copper washer filter.
I only have about 15 liters in it because, if I have to drain it, they're manageable.
So I re-drained the tank, checked, and I don't believe that can get stuck.
It goes in pretty easy. It does not go up easily, it's got to be in there all the way.

So I re-opened the tank lid, noticed there was a crack in the rubber hose that goes over a rislan/nylon tube - that goes to the pump.
Small crack, after the clamp, dry, improbable but I taped it up. No change.

I can see the air bubbles in the tube before the pump.

Somewhere else along the fuel line?
There is no petrol under the car, no smell...

Puzzled.

Oh, this tank.

Now I have air getting into the fuel line. Lots.
And I can't find where it comes from.
At first I thought it was the tube stuck in the copper washer filter.
I only have about 15 liters in it because, if I have to drain it, they're manageable.
So I re-drained the tank, checked, and I don't believe that can get stuck.
It goes in pretty easy. It does not go up easily, it's got to be in there all the way.

So I re-opened the tank lid, noticed there was a crack in the rubber hose that goes over a rislan/nylon tube - that goes to the pump.
Small crack, after the clamp, dry, improbable but I taped it up. No change.

I can see the air bubbles in the tube before the pump.

Somewhere else along the fuel line?
There is no petrol under the car, no smell...

Puzzled.

I don't have a reason or theory but. . . you could try swapping the filler cap from Sophie and see if you get the same result :confused:

Cheers
Chris

What about putting a decent volume of fuel in it and see what happens

I got me a spare tank of gas (5-liter bottle) and a fuel hose (which I tried the other day to test it) just in case, went to the pump and put 25 more liters in.
Got home, looked at the filter. Same.

The car runs well, never coughed, but I don't like it...
I could swear I never saw air bubbles going into the filter, and I've looked at it quite a bit in the past few months.

[EDIT] So I tried connecting the spare hose to the little tank, at the pump, just in case I was hallucinating the other day, and no bubbles.

Last edited:
I don't have a reason or theory but. . . you could try swapping the filler cap from Sophie and see if you get the same result :confused:

Cheers
Chris

I got me a spare tank of gas (5-liter bottle) and a fuel hose (which I tried the other day to test it) just in case, went to the pump and put 25 more liters in.
Got home, looked at the filter. Same.

The car runs well, never coughed, but I don't like it...
I could swear I never saw air bubbles going into the filter, and I've looked at it quite a bit in the past few months.

[EDIT] So I tried connecting the spare hose to the little tank, at the pump, just in case I was hallucinating the other day, and no bubbles.

Humour me again :clown:

Your filer cap should not have a hole in it, looking at the picture you posted it also appears to have no seal on the inside!! Try Sophie's filler cap!!!

Have you experienced the 'stopping whilst driving' now that you have cleared the vent??

Cheers
Chris

Try Sophie's filler cap!!!

Yeah well. Sophie's at the warehouse (12 km. from here), and tomorrow morning I'm flying to Italy, back Wednesday (hopefully) so it'll have to be next week.
I still can't imagine how air from the vent (whether it's the factory one or the hole in the cap) can possibly get into the fuel line, but I'll try...

Have you experienced the 'stopping whilst driving' now that you have cleared the vent??

No.
I haven't gone anywhere with it. :)
It wasn't raining much this week, so I used the bike - and the air bubbles were making me a bit nervous about getting on the motorway.
Just today, I went to the petrol station... but it's like five clicks there and back, not enough to test.

It can't be the cap.
It started after I disconnected the lines from the tank.

How should I go about it if I wanted to take the whole line off and inspect it?

Yeah well. Sophie's at the warehouse (12 km. from here), and tomorrow morning I'm flying to Italy, back Wednesday (hopefully) so it'll have to be next week.
I still can't imagine how air from the vent (whether it's the factory one or the hole in the cap) can possibly get into the fuel line, but I'll try...

No.
I haven't gone anywhere with it. :)
It wasn't raining much this week, so I used the bike - and the air bubbles were making me a bit nervous about getting on the motorway.
Just today, I went to the petrol station... but it's like five clicks there and back, not enough to test.

It can't be the cap.
It started after I disconnected the lines from the tank.

How should I go about it if I wanted to take the whole line off and inspect it?

OK, get some tape and seal off the filler neck, then check for air at the filter :mallet:

If you want to make work for yourself you can inspect the fuel line from tank to front by removing the sill cover panels from underneath. I doubt very much you will find a problem though :confused:

Cheers
Chris

I haven't touched the float...
Anyway, I won't be able to check anything until I get back to the Island, hopefully Wednesday.

I'll try showing her some Reason :)

thor_zpsbc9ddd4d.jpg

Well well,
I was going to show her the Reasoner, but I didn't even have to.
After three days of rest, there are no bubbles in the filter now.
She must have overheard me...

I'll try a drive as soon as I can and will let you know.

Well well,
I was going to show her the Reasoner, but I didn't even have to.
After three days of rest, there are no bubbles in the filter now.
She must have overheard me...

I'll try a drive as soon as I can and will let you know.

Good news at least for now, next step I was going to get you to read through this wiki entry on the German DS Friends forum.

www.ds-freunde.de/index.php/ids-wiki/karosserie/140-tankrenovierung.html - Translator

Original link Tankrenovierung

Nicely exposed inside of a D tank. Probably the relevant part for you is that the suction pipe (Rislan) enters the tank and feeds through to the filter at the bottom - you mentioned the bubbles occurred after disturbing this tube, my thoughts were that if it had cracked or broken above the fuel level it would be a source of air in that line and evidenced in the filter at the fuel pump.

Hopefully this won't be the case as it would require replacing the feed tube. When you remove the filter under the tank do you see the Rislan tube?

Interesting images, and shows the extent of rust that can develop in a fuel tank.

Cheers
Chris

The German link is very interesting, thanks.

my thoughts were that if it had cracked or broken above the fuel level

:eek:

When you remove the filter under the tank do you see the Rislan tube?

Yes. It's at the exact level of the bottom of the tank.
And the last time I drained it, I was very careful when inserting the filter.
Well... I'll have to run the fuel level down again and check I guess.

Cracked or broken... O my dog :(