Insurance policy hit !

Looks like I'm moving yet another policy over to Shannons. Very easy to deal with - all 'onshore' staff, and by far the best prices.

I'll never give AAMI any business. I had a traffic accident with one of their customers a few years back - they admitted full liability. I was uninsured. I made a claim on her policy, and after getting 'yes, yes, yes we'll pay you sir' for a few months ,they then backed out completely. I had to take them / her to court. They turned up with a Barrister - so did I. I won but it was pretty much a moral victory as after the Barrister costs I only got a couple of hundred bucks in my pocket. The stinkers never made me an offer and fully expected me to back down. The whole thing still grates me to the core.

Cheers

Justin
Well, there is that. I had sworn off AAMI a few years ago (well, 15 years) when they sided with their towing company, not me - their tow truck backed into my 306 - dents lined up with the rear hitch perfectly... denied responsibility etc. Anyway, I didn't like the repair and I disputed everything and got shafted. Cut to now, unfortunately Budget Direct wont insure my 308 for Agreed Value and wont cover it because of modifications.... Smaller than factory wheels and non standard clutch.
AAMI covers all my modifications including the value of the wheels and valued the car at $29k. Shannons claimed my modifications upped my premium and valued my car to a max of $23K - because thats the matching value on carsales! Which is frustrating as Shannons are meant to be the "enthusiast" insurer. I also have another car with them but the discount was in single figures.

So all in all, I think most insurers are on their own side, so Ive got to take the cheapest option at the time. I'll shop around every policy change.

Well, there is that. I had sworn off AAMI a few years ago (well, 15 years) when they sided with their towing company, not me - their tow truck backed into my 306 - dents lined up with the rear hitch perfectly... denied responsibility etc. Anyway, I didn't like the repair and I disputed everything and got shafted. Cut to now, unfortunately Budget Direct wont insure my 308 for Agreed Value and wont cover it because of modifications.... Smaller than factory wheels and non standard clutch.
AAMI covers all my modifications including the value of the wheels and valued the car at $29k. Shannons claimed my modifications upped my premium and valued my car to a max of $23K - because thats the matching value on carsales! Which is frustrating as Shannons are meant to be the "enthusiast" insurer. I also have another car with them but the discount was in single figures.

So all in all, I think most insurers are on their own side, so Ive got to take the cheapest option at the time. I'll shop around every policy change.
Why on earht would you tell them about wheels and a clutch!

It might be different if you owned a 404, belonged to a car club and then wanted to also insure your 308 as a limited use modern 'daily'.

I find Elders good for general car insurance but probably because they're my farm insurance agents. The 203 is with Shannons. They valued it twenty years ago and keep putting the valuation up.

Because clearly I'm a naively honest person and get shafted because of it! Knowing my luck I'd have to claim for a tree falling on my car and they'll withhold payout because of my wheels or something. Anyway, they wouldn't do agreed value and market value was $18k. So no, budget direct is nope.

It might be different if you owned a 404, belonged to a car club and then wanted to also insure your 308 as a limited use modern 'daily'.
Yes, the limited use policy was $1200... So still not cheap. I'm happy to use it as an argument to buy several classics though as a mechanism to lower my overall insurance 😂

Yes, the limited use policy was $1200... So still not cheap. I'm happy to use it as an argument to buy several classics though as a mechanism to lower my overall insurance 😂

Anything pre-mid 80's is very economical to insure. can really, they are pretty crappy to use as a daily driver. So old == cheap as the risk is lower :) Your modern car, is so modern it could be a daily driver doing the school/work commutes in peak hour :)

... and you fit a few typically go-fast mods and the perception of risk rises.

Not directly related, but there is some interesting NZ discussion about more granular risk pricing via interest rates for things like flood prone homes and so on buried in the middle of this. Insurance has typically spread the risk around as an average but technology allows a more granular pricing of individual risk than ever before.

Last edited:
and you fit a few typically go-fast mods and the perception of risk rises
Uncle in Iowa said insurance companies there automatically increase the premium if the car is painted red.
@lowpugV2 may only win the insurance battle if he gets a standard 1998 Camry. 🤣

¹¹¹
Shane, if you don't; the insurance policy that you are relying on to get you out of the financial catastrophe if your daily drive is written off may be revoked because "you lied".
Not telling is akin to lying - fraud. Not worth the risk if you can not afford to replace without the insurance payout.
You may get away with it, but have a diligent loss assessor looking after your claim and you could miss out 100%.
Not worth taking the risk if it means so much to you financially.
John
PS: Reminds me of a friend complaing about the poor pay out from his insurance co. for payout for total loss for his vehicle because the replacement insurance would no replace his loss and he was complaining profusely.
Upon reading his "policy wording" I told him to shut up and accept threarit r oauout offer.
Upon

"... and accept their offer because you had "lied" to them in your application.
In them accepting your application to acquire "insurance" was based on your advice that your vehicle is "parked" on your property (driveway) overnight when, in fact, when it was stolen, it was parked "in the street" and a further fact, it was always parked in the street overnight.

You have to be very truthful with insurers if you need to rely in them paying out.
John
PS: He shut up and accepted their meager offer. Meager in the sense that he could not replace his loss at the "market value" policy.

What about a multi-car quote for the 'classic' Camry, member of a Toyota Club, plus the 308?

Make it a Camry wagon with roof rack and tow ball and you can hook on a bike rack and take the kids for off road camping holidays. 😉👍

Make it a Camry wagon with roof rack and tow ball and you can hook on a bike rack and take the kids for off road camping holidays. 😉👍
Not even joking, there's a couple of 2004-07 V6 manual camrys listed. I started wondering how much simpler life would be with a beige metallic barge. Luckily they don't make than gen Camry in a wagon or it'd be all over.

Late 90's / early 2000's Camry was quite a good thing, particularly the V6. I know someone who has a quite eclectic car collection and the old Camry wagon is the go-to appliance for no-drama transport. Same with Falcon and Commodores of that era, which were comfortable long-distance cruising cars.

One of the things I don’t understand with insurance companies is how the same information can elicit wildly different responses…I mean how can databanks on car values and risk profiles be so damn different between insurance companies
I have just insured a new purchase (2021 model ) and quotes varied from $1,080 to $3,200! WTF!?

Not even joking, there's a couple of 2004-07 V6 manual camrys listed. I started wondering how much simpler life would be with a beige metallic barge. Luckily they don't make than gen Camry in a wagon or it'd be all over.
Our '98 Magna wagon just clicked over 400,000km and is about $300 per year for 3rd party. May dub it The Blue Knight as it keeps refusing to die. No snowflake computer, replacement parts from the wrecker or the cheapest generic ebay/supercheap supplier.

My old workplace had an automatic V6 Avalon company car.
It was no slouch let me tell you.🤠

¹¹¹

Shane, if you don't; the insurance policy that you are relying on to get you out of the financial catastrophe if your daily drive is written off may be revoked because "you lied".
Not telling is akin to lying - fraud. Not worth the risk if you can not afford to replace without the insurance payout.
You may get away with it, but have a diligent loss assessor looking after your claim and you could miss out 100%.
Not worth taking the risk if it means so much to you financially.
John
PS: Reminds me of a friend complaing about the poor pay out from his insurance co. for payout for total loss for his vehicle because the replacement insurance would no replace his loss and he was complaining profusely.
Upon reading his "policy wording" I told him to shut up and accept threarit r oauout offer.
Upon
A clutch and wheels ... Seriously, I don't htink even of my cars have "original" wheels .... well not original to the car certainly. Clutch? Seriously? I'd be suprised if there assessor could even drive a manual. who the hell would ever know if a clutch or "original" or not.... any 10+ year old car is going to be a combination of "who knows" parts.

Now if you had put some $5000 wheels on the car, and wanted the covered against theft. That I could understand.