Where do you get your Froggy Parts in Australia?

Solstice

Tadpole
Tadpole
Looking to get a timing belt kit & waterpump for my 1998 406 Coupe - any recommendations for aussie suppliers?

thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 17
There are several places that can supply belt kits and pumps, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne.

One is European Auto Imports (EAI) in Melbourne who will send it by courier. Give them a ring for price and delivery particulars.

PS Always supply the engine type and VIN

thanks, good to get personal recommendations from experienced members here

They can also supply good filters etc for your next service, which aren't bulky, so consider adding them to the order.

Just a comment ! I do not know your experience so this is a generic statement. On 'modern' cars do not start doing jobs like a timing belt change until you know exactly what you have to do "correctly by the book", for your actual model. They are not like the old cars and have plenty of traps and not much room for mistakes. Research first before you start.
good luck jaahn

It will be an ES9 V6. The tensioner is expensive and there was a change to the coolant pump that I know affects Xantia and XM that might catch you out if you are not careful about what you buy. From memory there may be a piece that needs hacking off the later version of the pump to make it fit. You probably also want to replace the 4 x seals on the camshafts, but what you do really depends on the age and history of the parts already fitted and how long you expect it to last until the next change. By that I mean if it's a very low kms car and you know how many kms the current parts have covered and will need to cover, then you might be OK to reuse the expensive tensioner and rollers, just changing the belt and maybe the coolant pump.

Last edited:
A while ago I posted the official how-to for the belt of a 406 with the ES9J4S engine.

#17 and others at

Hmm looking at seasink's post about this job, I rest my case !! One page of the instructions, to remove the belt !! :rolleyes: :unsure:o_O Jaahn
1714517471767.png

Read 'em all, including the pdfs, as plenty have mucked up this job going in blind.

jaahn why be such a dickwad, you think I havent researched this in detail or done timing belts before
Well you might know it all and have vast experience, but being a new member of the forum it is hard to judge from my computer keyboard so I offered my advice. Possibly you would be very surprised to hear the tales of failure that appear on this forum. Do you read it often ?:unsure:

Some other helpful members, including particularly seasink and David S,:cool: and others do willingly offer advice and information to members, as shown by this thread. Even to people who never bothered to become members before they needed some help, and often are never heard from again ! Sometimes not even a thank you. Even get churlish words given about the help offered ! :mad:
Good luck jaahn

i was a member here many many years ago, paid member on the 406coupe forum in the uk and intend to take out membership here too

They are actually quite simple to do but if you have any oil leaks that need attending to or engine mounts that need replacing it only takes about 60-90 minutes to remove the engine and get it all done

They are actually quite simple to do but if you have any oil leaks that need attending to or engine mounts that need replacing it only takes about 60-90 minutes to remove the engine and get it all done
thanks mate, yeah it does look straightforward. Luckily for me no oil leaks tho!
cheers